Though you may think you take care of your teeth, it’s critical to remember that proper oral hygiene is more than simply brushing your teeth each day—oral hygiene can help you avoid significant, long-term health problems and associated complications.
Want to know more? Read through the following reasons to practice proper oral hygiene and find out exactly how clean and healthy teeth and gums can benefit you.
1. Disease Prevention—Poor dental hygiene can lead to gingivitis, periodontal disease, and tooth loss. Studies have also linked diseased gums to heart disease, diabetes, pre-term birth, and other serious health problems. In properly maintaining your teeth and gums, you can help prevent these more serious and potentially fatal complications.
2. Pain Prevention—Gingivitis and tooth decay can cause significant discomfort via cavities and swollen/bleeding gums. A healthy, well-maintained mouth, on the other hand, is not only more comfortable, but also more resilient.
3. Reduced Health Care Costs—Treating the complications caused by dental problems can be very pricey, as can the cost of cosmetic or restorative procedures and products (braces, veneers, and the like) and increases in dental insurance. Avoid these expenses by making a comparatively lower investment in tooth paste, floss, and mouth wash.
4. Aesthetics—Proper dental hygiene can prevent unsightly discoloration, bad breath, and eventual tooth loss. Keep your smile looking great with proper maintenance, and in doing so, increase your sense of self-worth!
5. Setting an Example—Act as a role model for your children and/or siblings, and show them the value of keeping your teeth and gums healthy by practicing good oral hygiene yourself.
If you live in the New York area and are in need of dental care, then contact the offices of Michael J. Wei. Our areas of practice include general care, but also cover cosmetic and restorative procedures. Visit our website for more details, and set up an appointment today!